Pfafftown, NC, US
Pfafftown is an unincorporated neighborhood in North Carolina, United States. It has been partially annexed by the cities of Lewisville and Winston-Salem, both of which are in Forsyth County. Pfafftown’s Zip Code Tabulation Area (ZCTA) has 2,043 residents as of the 2000 Census. It belongs to the Piedmont Triad.
History of Pfafftown, NC
Peter Pfaff, a German immigrant who relocated from York, Pennsylvania, to North Carolina in 1750, gave the community its name. Pfaff’s House, Waller House, and John Jacob Schaub House are all listed on the National Register of Historic Places as Local Historic Landmarks.
Peter Pfaff Sr., who bought the land from Andrew Fulk in 1784, established the farming village of Pfafftown around his farm on the west bank of Muddy Creek. A few years after buying the property, Pfaff Sr. relocated from the Friedburg neighborhood in Bethania and worked the land with his son Isaac, gradually establishing his village.
The first Pfafftown Christian Church was built on Transou Road in 1865, and by the mid-to-late-1800s, several homes in the Greek Revival and other fashionable styles had been built.
After relying on Bethania’s postal services, the Pfafftown neighborhood finally got its own post office in September 1888. It was situated at Alex Transou’s home.
The well-known wagon-building family Transou inspired the naming of Transou Road. They relocated to North Carolina from Emmaus, Pennsylvania, in 1762, first settling in Bethabara, then Bethania, and eventually in Pfafftown. For their sturdiness and skill, the Transou brothers’ wagons became well-known.
Pfafftown Christian Church was incorporated by Julius Abraham Transou and twenty-eight additional locals. Dr. Beverly Jones was the early member who purchased the original three-acre site where the first church would be built.
The Gothic Revival sanctuary was built in 1917 to replace the old building, and it underwent renovations in 1927, 1939, 1954, and 1973. By 1896, there were 100 residents in Pfafftown.
The Labor Exchange was built on Transou Road in 1900. The Wilson brothers later acquired the Labor Exchange and renamed it the Wilson Brothers Labor Exchange School. Then, the 1930s saw the destruction of the school.
John Henry Pfaff operated a general store that stood at the intersection of Yadkinville Road and Pfaff Lane from 1891 to 1972. He ran it until a few years before his passing in 1949.
Pfafftown, NC Today
There are still several mid-and late-19th-century structures, including the homes of the three Transou brothers and the John Henry Pfaff House, a Pfafftown Local Historic Landmark.
In 2000, a proposal to incorporate the Village of Pfafftown was made to the state assembly. In 2001, the proposal became Senate Bill S676. But it did not work out. Instead, a large portion of the neighborhood was absorbed by Lewisville or Winston-Salem in 2006.
According to the 2000 census, Pfafftown’s ZCTA had 49% men and 51% women. White people comprise about 86.6% of the population, African-Americans 8%, American Indians 3.2%, Hispanics 1.5%, Asians 0.6%, and other races 0.8%. Also, 0.9% of the population is multiracial.
The typical household had 2 to 3 individuals, with the same making up an average family. There are 3,783 dwellings; 94.5% are occupied, 91% purchased, and 3.5% rented. 214 dwelling units are unoccupied.
Myers Heavy Equipment Rental also provide Services in Clemmons, NC, USA